Professional Development Program
The purpose of PHA (Vic & Tas)’s Professional Development Program is to:
- Aid members in maintaining and enhancing their knowledge and skills;
- Provide opportunities to reflect, discuss and share with fellow members;
- Assist in the creation of a committed and engaged professional community;
- In turn, community and employer groups will be assured participating members seek to deliver the highest standard of history.
Suggestions for professional development workshops and seminar subjects are always welcome.
Members who have completed PHA (Vic & Tas)’s structured Professional Development Program, actively contributing to maintaining a high standard of skill and practice in history, are awarded a Professional Development certificate each year. Recipients for 2017-2018 are:
Groups of up to ten people formed by members with similar interests. These are intended to be flexible, fun and informal but with a serious commitment to acquiring and sharing knowledge, discussing ideas and theories, and engaging in an area of history that either broadens your professional knowledge (an area you would not normally work in) or deepens it (an area you regularly work in).
The Professional Reading Groups that are currently established are as follows.
- Wednesday evenings, every 6 weeks, inner city location
Biography & Life Stories
- Wednesday mornings, CBD area (first Wednesday of the month)
- Monday evenings (6-8pm on the third Monday of the month at the East Melbourne Library, 122 George Street, East Melbourne)
- The online group has an email discussion every six weeks and reads books from the three genres above, as well as other subjects.
- Thursday evenings, 6-7 pm, City Library group study room, every 6 weeks.
If you are interested in joining any of these groups, or have a suggestion for a Professional Reading Group with a different focus and would like to establish one please contact us.