Membership benefits and services
PHA (Vic) is an organisation that exists to provide support for you as a professional historian. This support comes in various forms – like the services and resources that we provide to you as a member. A brief description of some of these advantages is listed below. Through many of these benefits and services members have the opportunity for both professional and social interaction with historians working in diverse fields of history.
- Ready identification of members’ level of qualifications and experience
- Ensures a high standard of professionalism within the discipline of history and the organisation
- Consolidates standards of professionalism, integrity and scholarship
- Ensures a high standard of conduct within the profession by incorporating a by-law to regulate the use of a Code of Ethics and Professional Standards
- Recommended fee structure for short, medium and long term projects
- Hourly, weekly and annual fee rates calculated for various levels of professional experience
- Professional Indemnity and Public Liability Insurance available through Consolidated Insurance Agencies, who provide a combined and competitive rate. Contact Neil Chambers.
- A guide for drawing up a contract for a range of projects
- Advocates the importance of history as a discipline and profession in the wider community
- Assistance with dispute resolution
- Monthly informative and instructive excursions and ‘how to’ sessions
- Annual skills training workshops
- Professional reading groups
Circa: The Journal of Professional Historians is a peer-refereed journal published on a regular basis.
- A forum to publish work that reflects the diverse ways in which professional historians engage with history and practice
- Pharos keeps members informed of professional developments, grant information, upcoming events, reviews, new members and the activities of current members
- Provides a forum for members to engage with one another and to publicise their latest work
- Publicises current work and professional development opportunities to members
- Employment opportunities sourced exclusively from clients and through external employment service
- Provides members with the opportunity to gain support and assistance from one another, work on collaborative projects together and be surrounded by like-minded professionals
A COMMUNITY OF PROFESSIONAL HISTORIANS
In addition to these tangible services there is another extremely important role that PHA (Vic) can play in your professional life. The PHA is your professional community. It can provide support and networking on an official and unofficial level. When you are searching for a job, trying to put your CV together, attempting to write a project brief or trying to cost a project, don’t forget that there are many members – fellow professionals – who have attempted the same or similar things before.
One of the most positive elements about PHA (Vic) is that we all work together to build a supportive and encouraging professional environment. You might be struggling with how to put together an expression of interest for a job that has been advertised in our Employment Service. Or maybe you are not quite sure how long an element of a project will take and, as a result, can’t quite work out that component of the budget. While you will find some of these answers in the documents in our information kit and on this website, don’t be shy to ask.
Make the most of the PHA network. There is always someone willing to help. You can contact Committee members by phone or email. Or you might like to come along to one of the Historically Speaking sessions. As well as being informative events, these sessions offer the opportunity to talk with colleagues before and after the session. Make the most of this supportive professional community – it is there to help you.